- ItemOpen AccessReligious and political identity in medieval Europe: purity of faith and heresy(Edicions de la Universitat de Lleida, 2021) Mitre, EmilioThis article provides a diachronic and overall view to analyze the creation of an identity in medieval Europe expressed in religious and political terms and created from contrasting an internal cohesion confronted towards external otherness. This imposed a conceptual trajectory, begun in the disquisition between pontifical theocracy and imperial Caesorapapism and following through the acceptance of the plurality of feudal monarchies and a segregating reaction in the late Middle Ages, focused on the purity of faith isolating groups and beliefs that could stain the society. The link between divine guidance and people facilitated that the political discourse at the end of the Middle Ages integrated the influence of messianism-millenarianism
- ItemOpen AccessErnst H. Kantorowicz's phases of medieval rulership(Edicions de la Universitat de Lleida, 2021) Puigarnau, AlfonsThe Ernst Kantorowicz’s personal writings are held at the Leo Baeck Institute Archives in New York City. The “Phases of Medieval Rulership” is a little corpus of unknown pages where the German historian had drafted in the 40’s of the 20th century the project of a new book which ultimately remained unpublished. In this article the author analyses the contents of this book comparing different manuscript versions and explaining the historian’s version of Medieval history in terms of political theological rulership.
- ItemOpen AccessFishing in the island of Majorca in the middle ages (1230-1521): state of the art and initial results of an ongoing research(Edicions de la Universitat de Lleida, 2021) Barceló Crespí, Maria; Mas Forners, AntoniThis paper aims to present the initial results of an ongoing research on the study of fishing in the island of Majorca in the Middle Ages, which includes the fishing activity, its production organization, as well as the commercialization and consumption of fish catches, and geography and sociology of population dedicated to fishing activities. The present study pays special attention to the most significant features of this activity in Majorca. That is the use of slave labour as part of the crew, the growing importance of coral extraction, and the development of fish-sale areas at almost all the villages of the island, as a way to tax fishing activities.
- ItemOpen AccessHarvesting in holy waters: an overview of fishery in Portugal in the later middle ages and early modern times(Edicions de la Universitat de Lleida, 2021) Costa Dominguez, Rodrigo daTraditional and consolidated Portuguese historiography has seen fishery throughout the Middle Ages, moving towards to Early Modern times, as an economic activity firstly (and mainly) connected to the State’s efforts of supplying local markets, as well as to the dynamization of its own economy, within a process of financial and fiscal strengthening of the Portuguese Crown. Bottom line, this development is deeply linked to Portugal’s economic history fostering process, which started fifty years ago. In this sense, this essay proposes a historiographic reflection, an overview of what has been done so far. Moreover, we want to observe how it has been historiographically framed by Portuguese historians and international scholars, and highlight most recent tendencies in terms of new approaches and research initiatives.
- ItemOpen AccessFishing, consumption, and processing of fish and shellfish in the eastern Adriatic through the long middle ages(Edicions de la Universitat de Lleida, 2021) Florence Fabijanec, SabineThe article first presents a review of historical evidence on the presence and use of different species of fish in the eastern Adriatic (statutes and other normative sources, notarial documents, travelogues, literary sources, etc.). Secondly, it provides a survey of the fishing grounds found along the Croatian shoreline. The third part briefly summarizes some of the basic rules and the evolution of fishing techniques. The last part deals with the market and some aspects of domestic life in terms of the processing and consumption of various underwater species (tuna fish, shellfish and corals).