A New Gender-Specific Formula to Estimate 24-Hour Urine Protein from Protein to Creatinine Ratio
Data de publicació2016-07-20
Marco Mayayo, M. Paz
MetadadesMostra el registre d'unitat complet
Background: The quantification of proteinuria with the protein to creatinine ratio (PCR) is influenced by the excretion of creatinine, which, in turn, varies according to muscle mass and hence, to gender. Aims: To assess the difference between urine PCR and 24-hour urine proteinuria in men and women and to provide a formula to overcome bias caused by gender. Methods: Four hundred and forty four CKD patients were randomly divided into 2 groups: 70% were used to develop the models, while the remaining 30% were reserved to validate the formula. Epidemiological data were analyzed with chi-square and Student's t tests. Association between 24-hour proteinuria and PCR was studied with Spearman coefficient in men and women separately. Multivariate analysis was used to find variables predictive of disagreement between the 24-hour urine protein and the PCR. Equations to predict 24-hour proteinuria from PCR for men and women were plotted and validated. Results: Disagreement between 24-hour proteinuria and PCR was more pronounced in men (2.16 and 1.64 g in mean, respectively) than in women (2.00 and 2.06 g in mean, respectively). Age and gender were independent predictors of disagreement. Gender-specific equations for predicting 24-hour proteinuria were: males: 24-hour proteinuria = 1.3350*exp0.9108*ln(PCR); females: 24-hour proteinuria = 1.0068*exp0.9030*ln(PCR). Conclusions: Estimation of proteinuria with the PCR improves accuracy if gender-specific equations are used. Use of the PCR without correction for gender leads to the underestimation of proteinuria in men and overestimation in women.
És part deNephron, 2016, vol. 133, núm. 4, p. 232-238
Projectes de recerca europeus
Mostrant elements relacionats per títol, autor i matèria.
Usefulness of imaging techniques and novel biomarkers in the prediction of cardiovascular risk in patients with chronic kidney disease in Spain: The NEFRONA project Junyent, Mireia; Martínez Alonso, Montserrat; Borràs, Mercè; Betriu i Bars, M. Àngels; Coll, Blai; Craver Hospital, Lourdes; Marco Mayayo, M. Paz; Sarró, Felipe; Valdivielso Revilla, José Manuel; Fernández i Giráldez, Elvira (Sociedad Española de Nefrologia, 2010)Background: Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD). Cardiovascular risk assessment in this population is hampered by the failure of ...
Mineral metabolism parameters throughout chronic kidney disease stages 1–5—achievement of K/DOQI target ranges Craver Hospital, Lourdes; Marco Mayayo, M. Paz; Martínez, Isabel; Rué i Monné, Montserrat; Borràs, Mercè; Martín Ramos, María Luisa; Sarró, Felipe; Valdivielso Revilla, José Manuel; Fernández i Giráldez, Elvira (Oxford University Press, 2007)BACKGROUND: Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study has shown that the proportion of haemodialysis patients with adequate mineral metabolism parameters according to the Kidney Disease Outcome Quality Initiative ...
A low fractional excretion of Phosphate/Fgf23 ratio is associated with severe abdominal Aortic calcification in stage 3 and 4 kidney disease patients Craver Hospital, Lourdes; Dusso Rosso, Adriana; Martínez Alonso, Montserrat; Sarró, Felipe; Valdivielso Revilla, José Manuel; Fernández i Giráldez, Elvira (BioMed Central, 2013)Background: Vascular calcification (VC) contributes to high mortality rates in chronic kidney disease (CKD). High serum phosphate and FGF23 levels and impaired phosphaturic response to FGF23 may affect VC. Therefore, ...