Extraction of anthocyanins and flavan-3-ols from red grape pomace continuously by coupling hot water extraction with a modified expeller.
Monrad, Jeana K.
King, Jerry W.
Howard, Luke R.
MetadataShow full item record
A continuous aqueous-based extraction systemwas developed to extract anthocyanins and flavan-3-ols from red grape pomace. The system consisted of a modified midget expeller with multiple water injection ports which allowed the introduction of hot water into the expeller barrel. Variables tested were flow rate, water pre-bath temperature, expeller shaft temperature, shaft rotation speed, and sample moisture content (dried or crude). Compared to values obtained using conventional extraction, 41% of monomeric anthocyanins and 27% of total flavan-3-ols were extracted in dried samples under optimal conditions while 68% of monomeric anthocyanins and 58% of total flavan-3-ols were extracted in crude samples that were not dried. Antioxidant activity (ORAC assay) values of extracts from dried and crude pomace obtained under optimal conditions were 38 and 58%, respectively, compared to conventional extraction methods. However, high recoveries of the physiologicallyactive monomers catechin (145%) and epicatechin (104%) were recorded in crude extracts, compared with conventional organic solvent extraction. The described process offers an environmentally-compatible method for realizing a value-added product from the pomace waste stream that can be used as an antioxidant additive in food and nutraceutical formulations.
Is part ofFood Research International, 2014, vol. 65, p. 77-87
European research projects
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Suárez, Manuel; Valls, Rosa M.; Romero Fabregat, Mª Paz; Macià i Puig, Ma Alba; Fernandez, Sara; Giralt, Montserrat; Solà, Rosa; Motilva Casado, Mª José (Cambridge University Press, 2011)Phenolic compounds are one of the main reasons behind the healthy properties of virgin olive oil (VOO). However, their daily intake from VOO is low compared with that obtained from other phenolic sources. Therefore, the ...
Effects of functional olive oil enriched with its own phenolic compounds on endothelial function in hypertensive patients. A Randomized Controlled Trial Valls, Rosa M.; Farràs, Marta; Suárez, Manuel; Fernández Castillejo, Sara; Fitó, Montserrat; Konstantinidou, Valentini; Fuentes, Francisco; López-Miranda, José; Giralt, Montserrat; Covas Planells, María Isabel; Motilva Casado, Mª José; Solà, Rosa (Elsevier, 2015)The additional health-promoting properties of functional virgin olive oil (FVOO) enriched with its own phenolic compounds (OOPC) versus the parental virgin olive oil (VOO) must be tested in appropriate human clinical ...
In vivo biotransformation of (poly)phenols and anthocyanins of red-fleshed apple and identification of intake biomarkers Yuste, Silvia; Ludwig, Iziar A.; Rubió Piqué, Laura; Romero Fabregat, Mª Paz; Pedret, Anna; Valls, Rosa M.; Solà, Rosa; Motilva Casado, Mª José; Macià i Puig, Ma Alba (Elsevier, 2019)The aim of this study was to investigate comprehensively the metabolic pathways and human bioavailability of anthocyanins and other phenolic compounds in apple matrix, and to elucidate potential intake biomarkers. After ...